Stoneleigh
Stacks Image 149005
thex Created with Sketch.
Stacks Image 31658
History of Stoneleigh
Records of ownership extend back to 1692 with the current estate evolving in the mid-19th century from a parcel of the Curwen Farm. Acquired by Edmund Smith, an executive of the Pennsylvania Railroad and a gentlemen farmer, an edifice named Stoneleigh was first built in 1878.

Samuel T. Bodine, President of United Gas Improvement Company, acquired the house and grounds comprising approximately 60 acres, in 1899. He demolished Edmund Smith’s Stoneleigh and reconstructed his own, perhaps using basement walls from the original Smith house. For many years the design of the house was thought to have been created by the architectural firm of Frank Miles Day & Brother of Philadelphia. However, an early floor plan blueprint has been located listing the Boston firm of Everett and Mead as the architects of record. Additionally, a reference in a 1910 trade catalog adds further proof that the design of Stoneleigh should almost certainly be attributed to Everett & Mead. Some of the landscaping was done by the Olmsted Brothers in the early 1920’s. Shortly after the construction of Stoneleigh was completed, Mr. Bodine moved the front entrance from the southwest side of the house to its present location, and the hall/library became what is now the living room.

Unoccupied after the death of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Bodine sometime in the early 1930’s, Otto Haas, co-founder of Rohm and Haas Company, and his wife, Phoebe Waterman Haas acquired Stoneleigh in 1935 with the idea of reducing the structure in size. Under the guidance of William Wayne as architect, the three-story dining room wing in the front, a vaulted game room and half of the rear servants’ wing were removed. What was the vaulted game or billiard room was replaced with a one-story addition which serves as the present dining room

In 1964, Stoneleigh became the home of Otto’s son, John, his wife, Chara Cooper Haas, and their five children. The present office wing was added in 1988, using the design of John M. Dickey, FAIA. The new wing was added at the approximate site of the Bodine dining room. Of interest, many of the stones used in the construction of the office came from the 1936 demolition of the former three-story wing and had been in storage for over 50-years.
thex Created with Sketch.
▶︎ Stoneleigh House Tour
A tour inside the beautiful Philadelphia main line estate and mansion called Stoneleigh in Villanova, Pennsylvania. These historical photos are from the 1930’s.
Stacks Image 148929
Stacks Image 148932
Stacks Image 148934


▶︎ Convent of Our Lady of Good Counsel
Chris Stroh plays the historic 1877 Johnson & Sons Opus 499 pipe organ, Mankato.

thex Created with Sketch.
▶︎ Channel 6 Report
Main Line estate to become public garden
Stacks Image 149079
thex Created with Sketch.

Stacks Image 149060
We look forward to moving into Stoneleigh and enjoying the magnificent new space.
James Weaver, CEO
Welcome from James Weaver
The Organ Historical Society is preparing to move its entire operation to the splendid 42 acre estate, Stoneleigh, in Villanova, Pennsylvania. This extraordinary event has come about because of the family of John and Chara Haas, whose love of nature and music brought two groups together to share their vision of offering the property to public use, The Natural Lands Trust, and The Organ Historical Society. In many ways the word “preservation” provides the great operative link between OHS and NLT, two groups that each share more than sixty years of nonprofit enterprise.

Stoneleigh’s history was established in 1877 when Edmund Smith bought 65 acres of land on Spring Mill Road and built his home. During the coming years a number of landscaping designs were undertaken, and in 1900, following the purchase of the property by Samuel Bodine, the Tudor Revival-style home that stands today was built. In 1908 the prestigious landscape architecture firm, the Olmstead Brothers of Massachusetts was brought in to oversee the gradual transformation of the grounds, a project with which the firm was associated during the following 50 years.

Otto Haas, co-founder of the Rohm and Haas Company, purchased a portion of the estate following Samuel Bodine’s death in 1932, establishing an 80-year residency by the Haas family. His son John and his wife Chara acquired the property in 1964 and by 1996 placed the property under a conservation easement with Natural Lands Trust. They raised their five children there, living full lives that included wonderful stewardship of their home until Mr Haas died in 2011, and Mrs. Haas, the following year. Their will stipulated that the property be given to a non-profit entity, and a search was begun to determine the next steps of Stoneleigh’s long life.

During that search the OHS was invited to meet with Fred Haas, the organist-musician of the family. At about the same time the family realized that the Natural Lands Trust was surely the best choice possible to assume stewardship of this grand preserve, and thus, in the spring of 2016 it was announced that NLT would be the owners of the property, and OHS primary tenants of the splendid home.

It was the strength of the OHS Library and Archives, the world’s largest collection of materials about the pipe organ that led to this opportunity. OHS had previously, in 2010, established a search for a partner with which to pursue next steps in maintaining, preserving, and sharing this important treasure. By June of 2013 we were prepared to announce the new partnership when a call came to consider locating at Stoneleigh. It was, simply put, an astonishing moment that the entire OHS Board felt required thorough consideration.

Thus began a period of renewed considerations: First, was the home sturdy enough to bear the load; the weight of a large library collection is considerable. Would it be possible to work with the collection and establish necessary offices? After a period of initial inquiry with an architectural firm and a design group, the answer was positive. Especially exciting was the opportunity to develop spaces for presentation of educational events, symposia, concerts, and fund-raisers. During the ensuing months and years the Organ Historical Society increasingly enjoyed the wonderful generosity of the Haas family, while the intense planning efforts with the Natural Lands Trust led to a splendid relationship of trust and warm friendship.

John Milner Architects, of Chadds Ford, provided their expertise and supplied a steady stream of talented participants in the project, and Fred Haas introduced a pipe organ into the mix! He determined to bring in Aeolian-Skinner Opus 878 as a lynch pin of the plan to unite nature and music. Stoneleigh had never had a residence organ, but 1932 was the year the Haas family established residence, and this gorgeous 1931 instrument seems ready-made to fulfill the long-standing absence.

Following months of dedicated work to repurpose the spaces, the project will be brought to conclusion by early fall. Following the major cleaning necessary after such construction, Emery Brothers, Inc. (Allentown, Pennsylvania) will begin to move the organ into place on October 1, and we hope to see the organ installation completed by mid-November. Meanwhile, both Natural Lands Trust and the Organ Historical Society will establish offices, set up the library and prepare for the grand opportunities that lie ahead. We hope to welcome first visitors by the New Year!

The invitation that was offered to OHS to join in this grand experience is truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. We are extremely grateful to the support and generosity of the Haas family members, the Wyncote Foundation, and the hospitable reception by the Natural Lands Trust. The Organ Historical Society has received exceptional backing from the Board, our membership, and our friends. We move forward in the hope to prove ourselves worthy recipients of this good fortune.

Website Design - The NEO Press