Bach was court organist and musician to the Duke of Weimar from 1708 until 1717. Many of his most well-known and frequently played organ works date from this period:
The organ in the Church of the Schloss, or "Castle" was originally built by Compenius in 1658, then repaired and rebuilt in 1708. Further work was done 1713-14 and 1719-20.
The instrument was placed in a gallery high above the altar and some distance back from the gallery rail. The earliest preserved stoplist dates from 1730; the one below is based on several different published versions.165
|Principal||8||Viol da Gamba||8||Violon-bass||16|
|Mixture VI||Sesquialtera II||Cornetten-bass||4|
Couplers: Unterwerk to Oberwerk, Oberwerk to Pedal
Two Tremulants (Oberwerk and Unterwerk)
Please note these characteristics. Most are typical of Thuringian organs of Bach's lifetime.
© 2000 AD James H. Cook